Studio Project: "Porosity" Mountain Dwellings building proposal

The second stage of the "porosity" brief was to come up with a building proposal based on our material and an existing building we were assigned. The main theme of the project is "Sensations" which we previously explored in isolated cases with our materials, and were then asked to implement these sensations into our building proposals.

My assigned case was "Mountain Dwellings" by BIG in Copenhagen, Denmark. The main attribute of the apartment complex is its geometry based on one single unit repeated in a certain way to create the mountain - like topography. Another main attribute is the "atrium" which makes up two thirds of the whole structure and is used as a parking lot.

In my proposal I decided to modify and use one of my final wool iterations of the previous brief as a single living unit which would be repeated throughout the structure which in my case will no longer be a residential building but rather a student accommodation one. Considering the organic shape of my unit, I decided to alter the original plan and linear geometry of the building to better relate to my shape and material attributes. I also decided to preserve the "atrium" and use it as a social public space for the students. As for the circulation and structure of the building, I drew inspiration from The Guggenheim Museum New York, and decided to design the whole building as one huge ramp where each floor could access the other, as well as the balconies leading to the "atrium".


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Building, Dwelling, Thinking" Heidegger- Review

Term 1 Brief 1 Architectural Association

HarvardX GSD1 course assignment on Brunelleschi and perspective